Advertisement

Remembering Jazz Tunes - Memory and Skill-Based Techniques

Remembering Jazz Tunes - Memory and Skill-Based Techniques In this video we are answering a question on how to remember jazz tunes over time so you can play them at a drop of a hat.

There are multiple techniques of memorizing jazz standards, tunes, progressions, licks, etc and in this video I will highlight two I use to remember jazz tunes I learned years ago.

1st Technique - Skill-based technique of knowing jazz tunes

If we have played guitar long enough we move how to play tunes from our memory to skill-based. This means the tunes I learned a long time ago are not memorized still but I learn how to recall them quickly if I want to play them at a gig or jam session.

For example, if I have played the song in years and during a jam session the group wants to play it, I ask to hear the melody or hum the melody to myself to quickly review the song in my head and then I am ready to play.

One aspect to work on is to recall old tunes by quickly hearing the melody or a few bars of the tune and then play the tune. It is a difficult skill to master but you just need to practice it and it will help along the way.

2nd Technique - Practical based concert every week

What I do is pick one day a week and I would perform songs that I know and want to play at the next gig or jam session. By doing this it keeps the songs fresh in your head and you will be able to play them by memory.

Songs that you have difficulty with and that are not memorized make a not of the songs and practice them more before the next gig so they are fresh and are fully memorized for you to play.

To recap, to remember songs we use memory or skill. I prefer skill for long-term songs for songs I learned decades ago. I prefer memory for songs that I want to play on jam sessions or gigs on a regular basis.

If you’re looking for more fun and exciting guitar videos like this one, make sure to subscribe to our YouTube channel right here:

Free Beginner’s Guide to Jazz Guitar Course


Free Swing Blues Guitar Course

remember jazz tunes,remember jazz standards,remember guitar songs,remember guitar tunes,how to remember tunes,how to remember jazz standards,how to remember guitar songs,how to memorize jazz tunes,how to memorize tunes,how to memorize jazz standards,how to memorize guitar songs,matt warnock,matt warnock guitar,

Post a Comment

0 Comments