Advertisement

Piano Technique Fast Repeated Octaves Using 3-4-5 Fingering Combinations With Thumb

Piano Technique Fast Repeated Octaves Using 3-4-5 Fingering Combinations With Thumb Initially taught 100 years ago by the great Alfred Cortot. A technique for using a large handspan to play fast repeated octavos without bouncing the hand or wrist but using 3-4-5 fingers with the thumb. It is far more efficient. I use the Bartok Sonata and Die Erlkönig by Schubert/Liszt as examples. This works for hand sizes where one can reach a comfortable octave with 1-3, and a 9th with 1-3 is even better.

As for this 3-4-5 octave technique, I have a copy of the Alfred Cortot , “Rational Principles of Pianoforte Technique” and I see, for example, starting on p.88, his octave exercises, he proposed the use of 3,4,5 for octaves, so there is nothing really new that I am doing in that regard but to rediscover what a great master thought of 100 years ago, of course. I also see how he describes the wrist rising and falling as I self-discovered. All of this said, I do think that for someone with smaller hands, at least 4-5 will work well even in diatonic and leaps, and not just the traditional 4-5 for white/black chromatic.

Piano Technique,Piano Octaves,

Post a Comment

0 Comments