Advertisement

What Is a Student Support Liaison?

What Is a Student Support Liaison? Learn more about Galen College of Nursing at

My name is Stephanie Pugh. I'm one of the student support liaisons at Galen College of Nursing and the Online RN to BSN program.


What is the role of Student Support Liaison?

I'm there for any questions that they might have about registration, financial aid, any issues that they might have with their courses or what's going on in their life, because that might change from session to session.


You'll have the same student support liaison from the beginning up until graduation and even then, if you have some questions after, we're available for you as well.


What do you do in a planning session?


A planning session is where we meet with students and we get them acclimated to our learning management system campus. We want to make sure that on their first day of classes they know where they can locate their courses, where we have an online student orientation, where they can find their book lists so they can kind of hit the ground running.


How do you provide students with support?


One of the main things that students might struggle with is feeling comfortable if there's an issue, and that's one thing that we want students to do, is we want them to feel comfortable to come talk to us and we provide our cell phone numbers and the students are able to text us, call us, email us anytime that they need to.


A lot of my students are night nurses, so what I tell them is as soon as something comes in your mind that you wanted to tell me the next day when you'll be sleeping, send that message. I don't care if it's at 11 one or two in the morning. I will respond back to you as soon as I wake up and just mute your phone, so I don't wake you up.


How do you stay in contact with your students?


As students support liaisons, we reach out weekly. For a lot of students, having that email out will spark a question that they didn't even know they had. They're like, "Oh wait, you are available. I do need to talk to you about something."


What if a student has an urgent issue?


I think for a lot of students, they don't realize that there's an issue until it's a 911 situation, and I think for a lot of students it's nice to have someone there. The way everyone works together between the departments is so just beneficial for the student all the way around. Anything that we can do to ease that worry in your mind, we want to be able to do.


Final thoughts?


Our students are never alone. We're always right around the corner. One thing about Galen is when I go to sleep at night, I sleep well knowing that everything that we're doing for our students is the best that we can possibly do.

Education,Nursing School,Galen College of Nursing,Nursing,Nurse Education,Student Liaison,Nurses,

Post a Comment

0 Comments