Advertisement

Photography On Location (Sort Of): American West Triptych

Photography On Location (Sort Of): American West Triptych VERY IMPORTANT NOTE: It is unlawful to possess hawk feathers in the United States. I did not know that when I made this video, but ignorance of the law is no excuse for breaking it. If you find feathers, please leave them where they are. I have taken steps to remedy my mistake (including contacting the California Department of Fish and Wildlife) and will be sure to follow the law going forward. I also made a donation to the Ojai Raptor Center at If you have a passion for helping birds of prey, I encourage you to support the Ojai Raptor Center (or any other raptor rehabilitation center).

You may remember a previous video where I shot New55 peel-apart film for the very first time. It didn’t go smoothly. Since then, I’ve practiced more and learned from my mistakes. I felt that I had ironed out all the creases, and I planned to apply my newfound abilities with New55 on a project I’d been pre-visualizing for months.

But plans have a way of falling apart.

The project in question is a triptych that came together in my head some time ago. 1 feather on the left, 2 on the right. As for the centerpiece of it all, I originally toyed with a classic Indian arrowhead. Because, you see, I wanted to create a particular vibe here. An American West in the mid-1800’s kind of vibe. A Great Plains kind of vibe. A badass Apache Indian chief in full headdress with a steely-eyed glare kind of vibe.

You know the vibe I mean.

Cowboys and Indians, but not the kind you see in movies. Not the 1950’s Howdy-Doody American West. Authentic American West. I wanted to make pictures that would pay homage and respect to that time period - when Native Americans and the relentless westward-push of European settlers came head-to-head in brutal ways.

I needed a centerpiece that would encapsulate that vibe. The arrowhead was a good start, but wasn’t quite right. Too small, for one, and it wouldn’t quite represent the clash of Indians and Westerners like I wanted. I needed something that better symbolized the brutality of that clash.

And then it hit me: what’s a better symbol of what I’m talking about than the buffalo? A dead buffalo - that’s what’s better. For the American Indians of the Great Plains, the buffalo was life. For westerners, it was target practice. Between 1872 and 1873, over 3 millions buffalo were killed. The American bison herds never bounced back.

A bison skull would be perfect for this triptych.

So after burning through far more New55 PN400 than I really hoped to, I finally created the triptych that had been stewing in my brain for months. I’m quite pleased with the results.

Thank you for watching, and enjoy!

Check out my course all about manual metering for film photography:

Website:
Instagram:

New55,New55 film,Polaroid,Polaroid Film,Peel apart film,large format,4x5,analog photography,analogue photography,

Post a Comment

0 Comments